Thursday, 3 May 2012

3 May: Thursday ride to Hare Street and Puckeridge

Edward writes: After a night of rain it seemed probable that today's ride would either be cancelled or not likely to attract many riders. In the event the rain stopped in time and eleven riders met in Hauxton. The rain had certainly stopped but it felt very chilly waiting to start the ride.

Once we got going we all soon warmed up especially by the cracking pace set by Greta as we were soon strung out on the way from Newton to Thriplow. We took the back route round Thriplow and then made for Fowlmere. This was followed by the long stretch out to Flint Cross on the A505. The wind, albeit only blowing gently, was in the north east and so assisted us with the climb up to Barley. At Barley we re-grouped and even shed some layers of clothing. At this point the rain started and the layers had to go back on again and it now rained continuously until we reached The Tortoise Cafe in Hare Street. At several places on this road the rain water had accumulated and in places was right across the road. It was nice to be in the warmth of the cafe.

Tortoise Cafe in Hare Street

At coffee it was decided to change the route from the original plan of Green Tye to a shorter route which meant we would have lunch at the White Hart in Puckeridge. This seemed a sensible option as the roads to Green Tye are often narrow with the increased likelihood of flooding. After coffee we made for Little Hormead and then to Furneaux Pelham. Even under overcast skies this is still a pretty route. Several times we had to negotiate flooded roads so care needed to be taken, but wet feet was our only problem.

Lots of water

More water

We eventually reached Puckeridge, lunch and a chance to dry out and warm up. This is a nice lunch stop and we were made to feel very welcome despite all the wet clothes hanging on the radiators.

After lunch we crossed the A10 and took the delightfully rural route through Nasty, Westmill and Aspenden before arriving in Buntingford and a chance to look again at the topiary where figures of rabbits have been cut into a yew hedge.


From Buntingford we took the Wyddial road which took us back to the B1368. Unluckily, Greta had a puncture, but Mick C and David were quickly on hand and it didn't take long before we were on our way again.


Rather than go across country, and in view of the bleak conditions, we decided to return home on the B1368.


This brought us back to Hauxton at about 4pm having covered 50 miles. Our thanks to Greta for another successful ride. Edward Elmer

View this route on a larger map

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am sorry to have missed it today! I planned to come along, but it was raining so heavily when I woke up that I didn't think anyone would turn up - I should have known better! Bravo to the intrepid 11 ! :) Lynn