Wednesday, 31 July 2013

31 Jul: Evening ride to Barton

Nigel writes: My companions on tonight's evening ride were Ian, Paul, James, Neil, John E and Jim. Our pub stop was the Hare and Hounds in Harlton, and since they had told me on the phone that they stopped taking food orders at 8:30pm I planned a slightly shorter-than-usual route. We set off south from Brookside down Trumpington Road to Long Road where we turned onto the short section of cycle path that connects with the guided busway.

We continued south via the DNA path to Great Shelford, where we paused at the level crossing before continuing through Little Shelford and Whittlesford to Duxford. It was a warm evening, but quite dull and overcast and with a southerly headwind. When we reached Duxford we turned towards Hinxton. When we reached the ford I gave my usual warning that the ford was very slippery and that using the footbridge was recommended.

James was tempted to cycle through, but after making a close inspection of the slimy bed of the ford he joined the rest of us in using the bridge.

From Hinxton we continued south to Ickleton where we turned west onto Grange Road, the long, straight, flat road that meets Royston Lane and continues to Chrishall Grange.

When we reached Chrishall Grange it was now time to turn north towards Harlton. This involved crossing over the A505 to Fowlmere, crossing the A10 to Shepreth and climbing Chapel Hill from Barrington to Haslingfield. Between Royston Lane and Barrington we had passed several dozen cyclists coming the other way who looked as if they were riding in an event, and when I spotted the numbers tied to their bikes I realised they were riding in the LEL, the London-Edinburgh-London Audax. (Looking at the route of the LEL later confirms this).

When we reached Haslingfield it was 8.30pm already, so I suggested abandining the pub stop at Harlton and carrying on to the White Horse at Barton. We got there at about 8.40pm and ordered drinks and plates of chips which we enjoyed whilst sitting outside as the sun went down.

After a thoughtful and longer-than-usual discussion we got back on our bikes, turne don our lights, and rode the remaining four or five miles back to Cambridge. I arrived home at 9.45pm, having cycled 31 miles.

View this GPS track on a larger map

1 comment: