Saturday, 7 December 2013

7 Dec: Saturday morning ride to Fen Ditton

Julia writes: The weather today was rather better than it had been for our last Saturday rides; it was still cloudy when I arrived at the start, but the forecast had promised some sunshine later on. Despite of this, there wasn't quite such a large crowd assembled at our meeting point next to Hobson's monument; we were eight riders in total when we left Brookside.

Baby Florian was with us as usual, and I managed to capture a little smile on camera as we were about to set off.

Ian led us down Trumpington Road, past the Botanic Gardens and on to Long Road and the busway, which we followed as far as the turn to Addenbrooke's hospital.

The forecast had got it right this time: The weather was improving by the minute, and as we rode up the bridge over the railway just before the hospital, the remaining clouds gave way to a bright blue sky.

Taking the photo and then climbing the bridge slowly on my heavy bike, I had fallen behind a bit, but Ian and the others waited for me at the bottom of the bridge. We took the foot and cycle path across the fields before the hospital and then rode along Robinson Way and past the Rosie maternity hospital and birth centre. Shortly afterwards I parted company with the group. Ian and the rest carried straight on, through the barriers on to Red Cross Lane and further along Wort's Causeway and up the hill past the Beechwoods. I, however, turned left and followed the perimeter road around the hospital grounds to the roundabout on Hills Road, stopping briefly along the way to take the below self portrait.

I went the shortest route back to Fen Ditton, via Perne Road, arriving at 11 am with plenty of time to prepare food and drinks for the home coffee stop at our place. Tea cakes were toasted, mince pies warmed up in the oven, and the smells of baked goods and fresh coffee soon filled our kitchen. Our fabulous giant tea pot also came in handy once again.

While I got things ready, Flo sat on his playmat near the door, entertaining himself with some toys, and then greeted everyone as they arrived around 11:40 am.

We sat around the table in our dining room, merrily chatting, and Flo visibly enjoyed the company of so many visitors. After half an hour or so, people got ready to leave and Ian accompanied them on their way back into town. The cloudy morning had turned into a pleasantly sunny afternoon, and I hope everyone enjoyed the ride as well as the coffee stop. I am looking forward to more Saturday rides in the New Year! Julia Hochbach

No comments:

Post a Comment