Sunday, 16 November 2014

16 Nov: Morning ride to Nuthampstead

Nigel writes: Today started damp and foggy and remained so for most of the morning. I decided it was a good idea to turn on my lights before setting off, and, unusually, left them on for the whole of the ride. My companions on today's ride were Eva, Steve, Z-Q, Neil and our leader Conrad. We set off south from Brookside, following local roads to Long Road where we turned onto the busway.

Joining the busway at Long Road

We continued south along the busway to Addenrookes and then along the DNA path to Great Shelford. From there Conrad led is to Little Shelford and along the B1368 to Flint Cross. After crossing the busy A505 we turned onto New Road, the long, straight road which climbs gently up to Great Chishill.

Climbing New Road from Flint Cross to Great Chishill

After Great Chishill we descended once more to Shaftenhoe End where we turned off onto a series of particularly pleasant lanes to Nuthampstead.

We arrived at The Woodman to find seven or eight members already sitting in the bar, enjoying the warmth of an open fire. We ordered coffee and joined them for a pleasant and sociable half hour. Those already present included Mick, Edward, Vic, Joseph, Malcolm, Adrian and Craig

As usual there was a discussion of whether to carry on to lunch, but as rain was forecast for about 2pm everyone decided to return home to Cambridge.

Setting off after coffee from The Woodman, Nuthampstead

Instead of returning the way we'd just come, Conrad led us south to Anstey and then east to Meesden before turning north for Langley.

Approaching Langley Upper Green

We continued from Langley Lower Green to Langley Upper Green and through Duddenhoe End before dropping down to the B1039. A short climb took us back up to Elmdon and then down once more to Ickleton. By now the mist seemed to have cleared though it remained very dull for our last few miles through Duxford, Whittlesford and the Shelfords back to Cambridge. As we reached Addenbrooke's it started to rain, more or less as forecast, but the rain never amounted to much and stopped after a few minutes. I arrived home at 1.30pm, having cycled 43 miles.

Download GPS track (GPX).

No comments:

Post a Comment